Thursday, March 28, 2013

Happy Easter!

Just completed some of my traditional "Martha Stewart" silk-dyed eggs...there are more simmering now. Such fun because each is always an interesting surprise!
The directions are in my Archives.

Have a wonderful Easter weekend!

Blessings to you and

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Inkjet Photo Transfer

I love this iPhoto photo that I took of my granddaughter. We were getting ready to do some GelliArt™ prints, so I braided her hair and put her in one of my t-shirts. I told her I wanted to take her photo, and she happened to catch a glimpse of herself in the room's mirror just as I took the shot!

This one is a cameo-wanna-be, don't you think? (Future project, maybe) I've printed out several versions of this photo. The original is not a technically-perfect image but so much fun to play with.

This version started with a board that I crackled a few weeks ago, testing the technique for a friend, so tonight I did an image transfer using an inkjet paper that is clay-coated on one side. This paper is advertised as not requiring as much ink for printing and still getting vibrant colors. I like it for that but the image transfer was a bonus. I'm not sure the paper is still available - it's called Super Color® by Micro Format, Inc., Wheeling, IL

I coated the board (which had acrylic paint and crackle medium on it) with Matte Gel Medium then placed my image, ink-side down, into the medium on the board. Using a brayer and then a narrow plastic scraper, I smoothed out any bubbles. The board had lots of imperfections from the crackle medium. I dried it for a bit with a heat gun and then set it aside for about 30 minutes...usually I leave this type of project for a couple of hours or overnight.

When it was dry I wet my fingers and started working in small circles around the edge of the image, eventually wetting and rubbing the whole image. I would dry it a bit with a paper towel, then start again with wetting and rubbing. The ink starts showing and you need to watch that you don't tear the paper, although that can be an interesting "feature."Eventually I found one area where the paper actually peeled off so I gently started living these sections and the whole backing was off with no more rubbing needed ---- my fingers said, "thank you." (2nd photo)

3rd photo - I am playing with embellishing the image. I painted Iridescent Gold (Fine) fluid acrylic by Golden around the edge of the board, then dry-brushed the same gold around the image and slightly on the image. I will seal the image with a decoupage medium, but for now flowers, lace, pearls are under consideration....
Comments are always welcome.

by the way, Emmalee is an almost 4 yr. old tomboy - LOL

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Resin Embelishments

Aren't these beautiful??
Just received this order from Webster's Pages. Scrapbook pages, cards, altered books....lots of uses!

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Crayon Melt Project

I saw a variation of this idea and thought it would be fun to try... It is fun but, watch out, it can be messy. I used a 5"x7" canvas board a friend gave me, attached approximately 1/2 of each crayon with hot glue to one of the narrow edges of the board. For this project I used browns, greens and yellows from a 64 crayon box to simulate a field.
As the melting begins with a hair dryer, the crayon can fly around so work in an area where you don't mind spots of crayon color. I melted mine by leaning it up against the side of the inside of a box.
This dries quickly so I added some waxy flax stems, various flowers, leaves and a little part of a picket fence that I use with my Christmas decorations. All were adhered with hot glue. The butterfly is cut from the Pink Butterflies trim accents by DCWV.
I think this will look nice in a bathroom or my granddaughter's bedroom.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Blessing to you and yours this week......